Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Brand New Deck

One night Michelle and I were talking about what we needed to do around the house. I mentioned one thing, and she stated "you really need to take care of the deck." So, with my fantastic ability to read between the lines of what she was telling me, I decided to take care of the deck. The deck had been ignored pretty much since the initial stain was put on. The boards were all cupped and the grain was totally blown out. It was a mess. We started by taking the benches off to reveal just the deck surface.
Once the benches were off, I did two different chemical treatments, one to remove the stain, and the other was a deck prep. They helped alot, but the wood was still pretty bad. I figured that I needed to sand it in order for it to look really nice.

I had recently purchased a random orbital sander, and I figured that I would get my moneys worth out of it. I ended up doing about a 10 foot square area before I realized that I would be 40 before I finished it. Michelle was nice enough to let me rent a hardwood floor sander.

The above picture is after the hardwood floor sander did its job. It was working really well, but I decided that it wasn't working fast enough. In order to fix that problem, I started sanding against the grain. It was a risky decision, but sped things up and made the wood look brand new. The bad thing is that before I could run the sander across the boards, I had to go and counter sink every nail. There are 22 boards on the deck, 9 rows of nails, and 2 nails per boards/row. You do the math.


If you could turn your head sideways, you would see that this was the first step of the application of the stain. I rolled it on and then back-brushed it on. The boards of the deck were a little bit too far apart, so you could see the natural wood down the cracks. I ended up buying a bug sprayer and filling it with stain. I then sprayed the stain down the cracks. Kind of a waste of stain, but it made it look really good.

Here is the finished deck, without the benches on it. We got a semi-transparent stain, which was supposed to let the grain show through, but once we got two coats on, you could not see the grain. Oh well.
We ended up cutting the long bench in half. I finished off the sides, and now we have the two benches that are in an L-shape. I don't know if those are going to stay like that or not. I haven't been told what I think about the set up yet. Still waiting for a decision.
If we keep the benches like that, we will end up moving the stairs and the exit point of the deck would be on the back of the deck.

The stain turned out to be a bit more red then we thought it was going to be, but once we started putting it on, what could you do?

All-in-all we are pretty happy with how it turned out!


8 comments:

THE YOUNG-INS said...

that is awesome. I wish my husband would read between the lines when I tell him that I want a house. :)

Jeppson's said...

Nice Benson! That is one good lookin deck now. Whats the next project from the Boss? She owes you big now:)

Kelly said...

looks soooo good! what a job!

crazymamma said...

nice job benson! oh the joys of improving our homes!!! but i must say you guys have been doing a wonderful wonderful job...and i think it looks awesome...!

Anonymous said...

benson the deck looks wonderful. i know your father would be so very proud of you. in fact i know he is looking down and being very proud of you. i also am very proud of you and amazed at what you are doing with your home and the latest the deck. michelle, you and the children have been very blessed with a most beautiful home and a happy place to live with great neighbors and friends for the kids. remember what i always tell you enjoy because some day you will miss these moments. they go too fast. michelle i love your hair. it is beautiful as are you. love you guys and mis you all so very much. love grandma jean

Ben said...

Benson - nice work, man! I've been thinking about a deck for our house, so next time you're in Utah...

I don't think it's too red - I think it goes well with the house color.

And Michelle - the highlights look great! Heather is missing hers.

Julia Callahan said...

You're the first red-head I've noticed highlights in. My sister is a fire-red red head. Your hair looks great!
Benson is quite the handy-man! Great job. I think red looks awesome. Hard work always pays off. What a great team you guys make.

Janel said...

beautiful!!