Monday, April 27, 2009

ride along

My parents are in town and it has been really fun having them here. On Friday we walked to some ponds and fed the ducks and on Friday evening we went to Lewisville Park. Lewisville Park is kind of like Mueller Park but bigger and there is a big river running through it. Anyway, we went there and took dinner with us. Unfortunately I forgot my camera to both of these. But we had fun feeding the ducks, throwing rocks in the river, and also going to Jeremy's t-ball game.

Anyway, with them here I was able to go on a ride along with Benson. He has wanted me to go with him and I have wanted to for a long time. So I went with Benson on Friday night. I was so nervous I was sick to my stomach by the time we got to the Precinct. I ended up really enjoying it. It was fun to see Benson at work and what he does. It was a definite eye opener. I told Benson I have a lot more respect for him and his work (not that I didn't respect him before) and now I think I am more worried about him at work. It just made things a lot more real as to what he deals with. But it was a lot of fun.

I got to see drunk people throwing up in the street, a girl squatting and urinating on the side walk, we drove really fast on the freeway to a motorcycle accident that ended up being fatal, and we responded to a call about a possible burglary. Of course I didn't understand what we were doing when we pulled up on the side of a building and Benson turns of his lights about 1/2 a block before that and then he gets out and says, "stay here." Before I could even ask a question he was out of the car peeking around a corner with his hand on his gun. Then I really started to panic. Luckily back up was there quickly and it ended up being nothing. But my heart was definitely pounding and my hands were shaking. When Benson got out I locked the doors but kept my finger on the unlock in case Benson came running back and needed to get in immediately. He came back to the car smiling and laughing meanwhile I am in a state of panic and I asked him what was happening. He said, "Oh, didn't you hear what the call was all about over the radio?" I heard the conversation but didn't understand it, I told him! Anyway, all was good and I can't wait to go with him again.

5 comments:

THE YOUNG-INS said...

How fun for you. I am soooo excited that you bought a home...I hope all is going well.

Jeppson's said...

So fun. That would be so intense. post so more pictures of your house we all want to see. Fun for you parents to be there. Miss you guys;)

crazymamma said...

HOW COOL!!!I have ALWAYS wanted to do that! i am soo happy you were able to! seriously if my hubby was a cop i would be making it a monthly maybe ever a weekly thing! I love the IT! we miss you guys like crazy!

Brad and Jenn said...

I can only imagine that conversation when Benson came back! Too funny! Brad is jealous. I think he'd make a trip to Portland just for a ride along with Benson.

Ben said...

COPS in Oregon. Nice ride-along report!