Monday, December 08, 2008

Benson vs. Windshield

So who do you think won in this lovely little fight. I like to believe it was a tie. As you can tell by the picture below the windshield did a number on Benson's forehead but it didn't KO him. He didn't even get a cuncussion. So I like to believe it was a tie! Now the story. I got a call at 4:00 this morning and it was from a co worker of Benson's telling me that Benson was in a minor fender bender. Of course I was totally freaking out inside but tried to stay calm. He proceeded to tell me that Benson was in the hospital and they were running all kinds of tests on him. Officer Manis volunteered to come pick me up and take me to the hospital to see him. So I said yes and then called Shelly. She of course was totally willing to get out of her warm bed and come over and be with my kids so I could go to the hospital. So Matt was here by 4:30 and the first thing I said to him was, "Okay, be real with me. Is Benson really okay." He assured me that he was and we headed to the hospital. Benson looks a lot better in this picture then he did at the hospital. At the hospital he had dry blood all over his face, crusted into his eye brows and on his hands.

Long story short, Benson had to swerve to miss someone who had pulled out in front of him and Benson hit a pole. His head met the windshield and so did the rest of his body. He couldn't get out his door so he climbed across and got out the passenger door. Apparently he was gushing blood due to the fact that he had skinned open an artery in his forehead. The first officer on scene (besides Benson) came over to him and the first thing Benson said was, "Go get a statement from that guy." His friend told him no, that he needed to sit down take care of him first. I am not sure of the story from there. The ambulance came and took Benson to the hospital and I was called a little after that. They didn't have a phone number for me otherwise I would have been called sooner. I was relieved when I saw him and realized that Matt had not down played Benson's injuries. Benson was in high spirits. Funny Benson story: Some hospital worker came in to ask Benson some questions one of them being his marital status. Mind you I am sitting right next to him. So Benson says he is married and the lady turns to me and says, "Hi Wife." Without missing a beat Benson says, "Oh, this isn't my wife." I quickly told her that I was his wife and then I knew he really was okay.

I must say, I deeply appreciate the outpouring of love and support that has been shown to us by fellow officers of Benson's and the general police bureau. Also from all of our amazing friends who totally dropped what they had going on to help with our kids so I could go be with Benson. I love you guys so much and I cannot say enough how much it all means to me. I am surrounded by such amazingly selfless people. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

7 comments:

Jeppsons said...

Concussion, not cuncussion. I know you would have been disappointed had I not pointed that out to you! That is what we get for allowing you to complete your education in Utah!
Glad you all came through this OK.

Russells said...

I am glad you are ok Benson. I wish we were there to make you some dinner.

KATE said...

Oh my word Michelle! It sounds like you both handled it like champs! Good Job, I don't know that I would have been that calm! Good Job wife, or mistress, whatever... ha ha!
I'm so glad it all turned out okay and you have so many great friends to help out!!

Rebecca said...

Yikes! Are you guys all OK now??

Carla said...

This is when it's good to be hard-headed!! Glad you're ok Benson.

Janel said...

poor Bens...here's to a month off!!

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

Insert hardheaded Benson comment here. Glad to hear that you are OK.